Talk to a carer today: 0345 512 0022

Understanding Social Care funding and your entitlements

Calculating funding to pay for care can be a complicated process. We are here to help and have outlined the funding entitlements below for both healthcare and social care funding. We are also happy to help with funding queries face-to-face or over the telephone; please get in touch to find out more.

To find out if you are eligible to receive care funding it is important to understand the difference between healthcare and social care needs. The NHS interprets this as follows:


Healthcare Needs

“In general terms it can be said that such a need is one related to the treatment, control or prevention of a disease, illness, injury or disability, and the care or aftercare of a person with these needs (whether or not the tasks involved have to be carried out by a health professional).”


Social Care Needs

“ A social care need is one that is focused on providing assistance with activities of daily living, maintaining independence, social interaction, enabling the individual to play a fuller part in society, protecting them in vulnerable situations, helping them to manage complex relationships and (in some circumstances) accessing a care home or other supported accommodation.”


Local Authority Visits


If you think you need help with paying for your healthcare or social care funding costs, your Local Authority will need to visit you to carry out two assessments. The first assessment will establish the type of care you need, and the second will be a financial assessment to discern your financial position. They will then be able to tell you if you qualify for state funding.


We are here to help you before, during or after these assessments - we understand these circumstances can be daunting and sometimes stressful. You are more than welcome to contact the Burley's team for support during this time.


top 20 home carers