Information on Care Benefit Entitlement

When you are considering funding home care, you must be sure that you have explored all possible state benefits available to you or your loved one. Benefits payments are there to help you and can be used to manage the cost of home care.

What you are entitled to depends on your personal circumstances and your needs, and you may not be aware of the different benefits available to you. We can help you to identify whether you can access this kind of invaluable support.

Benefits can be a great help when arranging home care. We have detailed some of the most common benefits here, based on current information available from the government. For more detailed information please visit The Gov website.

talk to our Care Team

Want to know more about working at Burley’s Home Care? Our friendly team would be happy to have a chat.

Home carer training

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Personal Independence Payments were formerly known as Disability Living Allowance and are designed to help with additional costs for people who have a long term physical or mental health condition or disability. You will be assessed before receiving the payment, and the level of payment available depends on how your condition affects you on a day to day basis.

The PIP is tax-free and is not dependent on what level of income or savings you have. People aged between 16 and 64 are eligible to apply, and the payment is split into two parts; one for those who have mobility issues, and the other for those who have difficulties with daily living.

Attendance Allowance

If you are aged 65 or over and have a disability or illness which requires personal care or supervision, perhaps from a professional carer or a loved one, you could be eligible to receive Attendance Allowance. It’s important to note that you do not have to have someone caring for you in order to be eligible, the payments are based on need.

The payment is set at two different rates, and you will be assessed to decide which you might qualify for, based on the level of care or support that you need.

Learning disability care

Carers Allowance

It’s not only those receiving care that are entitled to benefits, and it may be that a carer can receive financial support, too. If you spend more than 35 hours a week caring for someone and earn £128 a week or less (after tax, National Insurance and expenses), it could be that you qualify for the payment.

To qualify for a Carer’s Allowance, it’s important that the person you care for is also receiving certain benefits, and if you’re not eligible for Carer’s Allowance you may still be able to receive Carer’s Credits. People receiving Carer’s Allowance can also qualify for other benefits too, such as reduction in council tax, Universal Credit or Pension Credit. We can help you to find out more about the requirements and determine if you are entitled to additional support.

Other allowances

If you have a long term health condition, you are on low income or you need care, there are many different benefits you could qualify for. As well as the ones we’ve mentioned here you may also be able to get:

  • Council Tax Reduction (previously known as Council Tax Benefit)
  • Payments towards your heating bills, designed to help during cold weather when bills tend to be higher
  • Supplementary Welfare Allowance, intended for those on low or no income

The financial support you can get will depend on your personal circumstances and your needs, and it’s important for you to check carefully what you can apply for.

We help many of our clients with understanding what they can receive. For more advice and information on care benefit entitlement, please contact us.

Verified by MonsterInsights